Tuesday 18 August 2015

The next step in life

Okay, so real life university may not be as adventurous or hazardous as the 'Monsters Inc University' but there sure are some great times to come and probably, some less exciting ones too e.g. actually studying. However, that doesn't mean that you can't make the most out of this time and have the best, least stressful experience possible! If you follow me on Twitter then you may already know this but, I personally am about to start university. Okay, it's weeks away but that's soon enough! Through the whole process I wished that there was somebody around who could guide me, help me and in some circumstances, tell me what to do!

Previously, I was meant to be attending The University of Huddersfield but things didn't go to plan so now...University of Derby here I come. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't okay with this to begin with but days later, accommodation booked, I've come to realise that these cards were dealt to me for a reason. I just need to find out why. Maybe this is the university I was meant to attend all along. My point being, the world dishes out incredible things that sometimes, are simply hid behind what you may perceive as difficult situations.

Since things didn't go the way I had planned, I wanted to give you some advice to hopefully prevent this reoccurring in your own life.

* When your tutor says 'You all need to start writing your personal statements now'...believe them! It genuinely does take that long if you want a decent version! Not only do you have to write it, but your tutor needs to assess it and give feedback. Don't forget, this also stands for the 200 other students' statements.

* Make sure that when you choose the course you want to apply for, it's the right one! I cannot stress this enough. This should have probably been the first point since it's that important; it's one of the reasons I didn't get into Huddersfield. I originally applied to study Psychology but realised later on that Law was my passion. Obviously I had written my personal statement directed towards the original course and therefore, they didn't see that I actually wanted to study Law.

Lastly
* Be prepared. Once you've received your offers, start shopping! Make a list (or find one online, there's plenty on websites like 'The Student Room'), Save up. Get the basics at least. If for some reason you didn't get into university, would you plan to move out relatively soon after? If so, make sure that everything you buy can apply to either situation. Personally, I bought towels, a clothes drying rack, small ironing board, plates, dishes and cutlery since these could go with me wherever I moved!

All I'll say is to listen to all of the information you are given. Make sure that when you look back on your college days, you have no regrets. Have a lovely day guys and I'll see you soon for another post.

Allie x

No comments:

Post a Comment