Tuesday 1 September 2015

Behind closed doors

This post isn't going to be a usual post. If you know me at all, you know that something I'm very passionate about is equality. By that I don't just mean for genders, I mean race, disabilities, mental health problems and all that other stuff that 'we aren't suppose to talk about because it's uncomfortable'. I'm sorry, but I will not follow that rule.

My high school best friend is mixed race. My brother in law is mixed race.
My mum is disabled. My sister is disabled. My niece is disabled.
My nephew has autism. A close friends' son has autism.
I have 'gay friends' and I have 'straight' friends.
I have female friends and I have male friends.
I know people who are a little bit of both.

You may now be wondering, 'Alex what is the point that you're trying to make here?' and my point is that these things need to be talked about. They shouldn't be topics that we avoid or are scared of. These are real people. As long as you aren't being hurtful, why not speak about these things? They're real, they're happening, problems only arise when others aren't respectful. The word gay isn't negative, it's just a label, it's the association that now comes with it that's negative and that was done by us! Stereotyping and being derogatory towards people that, have done nothing wrong, but are misunderstood. The word 'retarded' is just a word with its own meaning. That meaning is not negative, it's just a label, it's the way in which we use it which makes it negative. The definition of retarded is: less advanced in mental, physical, or social development than is usual for one's age. That's it. That in itself isn't derogatory.

Something you probably don't know about me is that I have CFS. I don't talk about it. It's not something I share on a daily basis. You may not have known that there is something wrong with me but that's exactly my point. Some illnesses are hidden from eye sight, but it doesn't mean that they aren't there. On a basic level, I get tired, very tired. I didn't know another person who had the same condition until a couple of days ago and it felt so refreshing for another human being to understand what I'm going through. This isn't for pity or sympathy. This is to raise awareness. Just like depression, CFS is hidden. 

I'm sorry but I will not be controlled by society. I will not be told that I cannot look at that child because he's different. Some people ask me 'why are you looking?' and my answer? I'm admiring their childrens' beauty. We are all different in some way. People with disabilities are just more visibly different.

I see beauty everywhere. I will not apologise for supporting these people. These strong, strong people. Remember in lion king, the song 'we are one'? I think people need to remember that as a society, we are one. We are representing everyone in it. I am proud to support everybody in what they are doing. I am proud to support every right that gives someone equality. 

I am proud of my high school best friend, my brother, my mum, my sister, my niece, my nephew, my friends' son and everybody else! They are being themselves. They aren't masking who they are because society tells them that they aren't accepted. They're embracing their culture, their ways and their own self. Do all of these things really matter? We are all people, we are all equals.

Thank you, I'll see you soon for another post. 
Don't be afraid to share this if you want to raise awareness too.

Allie x

No comments:

Post a Comment