Thursday 12 November 2015

Update...

On 21st September I wrote to you all telling you what an amazing time I was having here at university. I'm now here to tell you that first impressions aren't everything, you're just going to have to trust me on that.

When you're reading this, I will probably be making a plan of what's going to happen on my blog and sorting out some final packing. If you hadn't already guessed or heard, my university experience hasn't exactly been positive and therefore...I'm moving back home. Come Friday 13th October, I will be moving the rest of my belongings back to my home and starting my journey to recovery. I don't think some people understand the fact that some people can't take snide comments and blatant nastiness as well as others and unfortunately, the harsh reality is that a lot of people just don't care.

One thing I will say is that my hair has taken a beating whilst I've been here!

You want proof?!


I started out university with red/purple hair. I had this colour during high school and fell in love with it. If you've seen previous posts or follow me on Twitter, you'll know that my hair before university was extremely long and sort of tie-dyed at the ends from where the colour had grown out. The trouble is, once I dyed it again, I then realised that this could have an impact on what professionals thought of me (being that I was studying Law), realised how damaged my hair was and how much I wanted my natural hair back! You'll soon learn that it definitely isn't easy to return from once you came!

Have you ever tried to get rid of a colour you don't want? If not...I wouldn't
recommend trying it yourself. Personally, I'd suggest that you go to a salon and pay a professional to sort it (I just wasn't paying salon prices!).

The result of stripping my hair, erm, twice was this. I used the 'Colour B4 Extra Strength' since this colour remover was supposed to be great at removing stubborn colours like reds, browns and blacks. However, what I didn't realise at the time was that the XXL hair colour that I'd used to achieve the red basically bleached my hair.

I thought it would be best to tell you this since it isn't the products' fault! The only thing I'd say about this product is that it does smell and it did leave my hair really, really dry. So dry that when I brushed it, I thought it might fall out (this improved as I continued to deep condition it once the process was completed).

So anyway, for the couple of days I was home I was compared to my niece (who's ginger) and called all of the names under the sun. Don't mistake this for nastiness, this was one of those times where if I didn't laugh, I would have cried so my dad, selflessly of course, offered a helping hand in the humour department. All I can really say is that I hope you learn from my mistakes, I sure did!

The final result
After a hell of a lot of tears and consideration, the only option was to attempt to dye my hair brown on top of the orange. So I did. For the most part, it worked and I couldn't have asked for a better result (I suppose I could have but it wouldn't get me anywhere!). The slight colour change you can see in some of my hair is where the orange still shows through a little bit, but the colour varies depending on the lighting. In most lighting it looks a different tone of brown which suits me fine, in some lighting it looks red and in some it looks slightly orange toned.

At the end of the day, I'm back brown and that's all that matters. No more tears will be shed over the colour of my hair! I hope you're as happy to hear that as I am to say it!

One word of advice. If you're going to remove the colour from your hair, think about whether the colour you put on beforehand could have bleached it.



Please bear with me as I recover. I have not disappeared and do not plan on it any time soon! I am going to be working on creating some new content and working towards getting back into a routine since the drastic change.
If you have any questions regarding university, hair colouring/colour removal then please feel free to contact me. (I'm no expert but I can offer a little advice from experience).

Thank you for the support that's been given through the journey.
Have a lovely day and I'll see you soon for another post!

Allie x

No comments:

Post a Comment